If you own a boat, then you want to be sure you have the best marine toilet possible. No one wants to have a toilet malfunction when you are out on the open water!
There are many types of marine toilets available on the market. It’s hard to know which one is the best solution for your needs. You want something that is quiet, odor-free and easy to install and maintain. We have reviewed some of our top picks in marine toilets. Look at these products and see if any of them appeal to you.
- 1 Best Marine Toilets
- 1.1 1. Jabsco 37010 Series Electric Marine Toilet, Push Button Operation, Macerator
- 1.2 2. Dometic Sealand 510 Plus China Toilet, Bone Color
- 1.3 3. Nature’s Head Self-Contained Composting Toilet with Spider Handle Design
- 1.4 4. TMC Electric Marine Toilet Medium Skirted Bowl, 12-Volt
- 1.5 5. Johnson Pumps AquaT Compact Manual Marine Toilet
- 1.6 6. Jabsco Twist ‘n’ Lock Manual Head Marine Toilet
- 1.7 7. Dometic 300 Series Standard Height Toilet, White
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 3 Conclusion
Best Marine Toilets
1. Jabsco 37010 Series Electric Marine Toilet, Push Button Operation, Macerator
The bowl on this toilet is made of vitreous china with a baked enamel seat and lid. It has a flexible impeller flush pump with a high capacity macerator to break down all solid waste efficiently.
This toilet does not have a fixed flush volume. It has a push button which will continue to flush water volume through the bowl for as long as the button is held down. Depending on the layout and setup of your marine bathroom, you have the ability to turn the pump 90-degrees to ensure a proper fit in more compact spaces.
A built-in backflow preventer ensures that you do not end up with awful messes on your flow if the toilet gets clogged.If you are in need of a macerating toilet for your boat or lake house, this toilet is the perfect solution!
- Flexible impeller flush pump
- High capacity macerator
- Push button flush
- Built-in backflow preventer
- Macerating pump is loud when it is running
2. Dometic Sealand 510 Plus China Toilet, Bone Color
This toilet features an efficient rim flush action which uses only about 0.5-liters of fresh water per flush. It has an easy-to-use foot pedal for flushing the toilet bowl. It also features an integral anti-siphon vacuum breaker which helps to protect your potable water supply.
The Dometic Sealand does not require any electricity to operate. It has an exclusive self-cleaning flush ball with seal locks to prevent holding tank odors from escaping.
If you need a toilet for your boat or RV that is easy to install, then consider the Dometic Sealander. You will not be disappointed.
- Uses .5-liters of water per flush
- Does not require electricity
- Exclusive self-cleaning flush ball with seal locks to trap odors
- Anti-siphon vacuum breaker to protect the potable water supply
- Bowl does not clean well with basic water flushes
3. Nature’s Head Self-Contained Composting Toilet with Spider Handle Design
This toilet from Nature’s Head is specifically designed to accommodate spaces without running water or sewage containment tanks. The toilet features all stainless steel hardware and has a full-size elongated seat for extra comfort.
It includes a vent hose and a recirculating ventilation fan that is powered from a 12-volt power source. It has a urine diverter so you can separate out liquid waste from solid waste. The liquid waste should be disposed of every couple of days. The solid compost waste can be emptied after about 80 uses.
This toilet comes with an amazing 5-year limited warranty! You can purchase this toilet risk-free knowing you are getting a quality product for the price.
- Stainless steel hardware
- Elongated seat
- Vent hose and fan
- 5-year limited warranty
- Management of the composted waste is time-consuming and requires two people
4. TMC Electric Marine Toilet Medium Skirted Bowl, 12-Volt
The TMC electric marine toilet has a vitreous china bowl which gives it a smooth and sleek appearance. It comes with a standard household type toilet seat and lid. The toilet has a self-priming flush pump that rinses the bowl whenever the flush button is pressed.
A high capacity macerator and pump grinds up the solid waste and pumps it out into the waste line. For the best priming condition, the water source should be close to wherever the toilet is installed. The water pump inlet should not be more than 25-inches above water level.
This toilet is designed to be used with fresh water and sea water. It can be installed above or below sea level on any boat and does not work well with pressurized water installations.
- Push button flush mechanism
- Self-priming flush pump
- Can be used with fresh water and sea water
- Can be installed above or below sea level
- Does not work with pressurized water installations
5. Johnson Pumps AquaT Compact Manual Marine Toilet
This toilet is designed with corrosion resistant parts throughout. It is ergonomically designed and has a hand-powered piston pump that can be mounted for either left or right-hand use.
The toilet operation is quiet, hygienic and durable. It has clean lines which makes it very easy to clean. It utilizes only 2.5-liters per flush which allows it to make the most of the holding tank capacity. It also has an automatic backflow prevention valve.
If you need a compact toilet for your boat or yacht, take a look at the Johnson AquaT. It will give your marine bathroom a sleek appearance with low maintenance.
- Includes corrosion resistant parts throughout
- Quiet and hygienic
- Uses only 2.5-liters per flush
- Automatic backflow prevention valve
- Ergonomically designed
- Pump handle tends to leak after a while and requires replacement
6. Jabsco Twist ‘n’ Lock Manual Head Marine Toilet
This innovative twist ‘n’ lock safety handle guards against flooding and waste backflow. After pumping the waste, a simple turn of the handle 90-degrees locks it in place so no waste can backflow out of the pump.
The full-sized external seal housing allows quick seal replacement and instant access to the pump cylinder for any maintenance needs. This toilet features a powerful self-priming pump that can be used for above or below water installations.
The toilet is free from crevices and contours which gives it a sleek appearance and makes it easy to clean! Installation of this toilet is quite simple and is a quick solution to your marine toilet needs!
- Twist ‘n’ Lock safety handle
- Full-sized external seal housing
- Powerful self-priming pump
- Can be installed above or below the water line
- When pumping to flush, sometimes causes water to splash back up into the bowl
7. Dometic 300 Series Standard Height Toilet, White
This Dometic toilet comes with a standard height bowl to match the toilet height you are accustomed to in your home. It features an easy gravity flush system that offers powerful triple jet spray action in the bowl to remove waste completely.
An ergonomic foot pedal is used to initiate the flushing sequence making this a hands-free hygienic way to flush your toilet. The toilet only uses 0.5-liters per flush which will save you a lot of water over time.
This toilet comes with a 2-year warranty and outstanding customer service. You can buy this toilet with confidence knowing that any issues you have will be resolved immediately.
- Standard height bowl
- Gravity flush system
- Foot pedal flush mechanism
- Uses 0.5-liters of water per flush
- 2-year warranty
- Toilet is quite loud as it is flushing
- Foot pedal is a bit fragile and can break easily
Frequently Asked Questions
Selecting the right toilet for your boat can be a daunting task. Here are some frequently asked questions to help you with your concerns. Review these topics for more information on the things to look for and consider when buying a marine toilet.
How Does Marine Toilet Work?
A marine toilet is designed to accumulate waste in a holding tank on board until it can be pumped out into an onshore waste-disposal facility. Many marine toilets have a hand pump that allow you to use water directly from the sea or lake for flushing the toilet.
How To Install Marine Toilet?
The installation of a marine toilet must abide by all coastal and inland regulations. In other words, you cannot directly discharge untreated sewage into the water which means you must be sure your head discharge hose is connected directly to a holding tank.
How To Flush Marine Toilet?
Some marine boats have a hand pump that require you to pump water into the bowl in order to rinse away the waste. Other toilets have a foot pedal to fill the bowl with water prior to using it. You then open a slide valve to dispose of the waste.
How To Unclog Marine Toilet?
Avoid using strong chemicals to unclog the drain in your marine toilet. You can try pouring a small amount of vinegar into the bowl and then use a plunger to try to break the clog-free. Most clogs are in the outlet hose which means you may need to disassemble it in order to clean it out.
You have many options available when it comes to choosing a marine toilet. Your choice should be based on the size of your boat and whether it needs to be a semi-permanent installation. Be sure you know the regulations of your destination locations when it comes to proper waste management and disposal!