Toilet flappers provide a critical function to the overall operation of your toilet. The flapper is what regulates how the toilet flushes and controls how much water is dispersed during a flush. If your toilet never stops running, you may have a flapper that no longer works or requires adjustments.
- 1 Best Toilet Flappers
- 1.1 1. Fluidmaster 400CRP14 Universal Toilet Fill Valve And Flapper Repair Kit
- 1.2 2. Fluidmaster 502P21 2-Inch Universal PerforMAX Toilet Flapper
- 1.3 3. Korky 100BP Ultra-High Performance Flapper
- 1.4 4. Korky 3060BP Universal Toilet Flapper
- 1.5 5. TOTO THU500S Replacement Toilet Flapper
- 1.6 6. Fluidmaster 5403 3-Inch Universal Water Saving Toilet Flapper
- 1.7 7. Kohler K-GP85160 Blue Toilet Flapper With Float
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 3 Conclusion
Best Toilet Flappers
When you need to find a replacement flapper for your toilet, it is hard to know where to begin to look. There are many options available on the market but we have picked some top-rated favorites for your review.
1. Fluidmaster 400CRP14 Universal Toilet Fill Valve And Flapper Repair Kit
If you have a toilet that constantly runs, you might have a cracked valve or a flapper that needs to be replaced. You can repair both of those items with this single kit!
The fill valve and flapper in this kit are based on a universal design that fits most toilets. The flapper fits a standard 2-inch flush valve toilet. The fill valve can be adjusted easily from 9-inches up to 14-inches.
Put a stop to your noisy and constantly running toilet! This kit can be installed in less than 10 minutes and will get your toilet flushing like it is brand new!
- Includes a 400A fill valve
- Fill valve adjusts from 9-inches to 14-inches
- Features a 501 flapper fitted for a 2-inch flush valve toilet
- Installs in less than 10 minutes
- Works only with tanks rated at 3.5 GPF (gallons per flush) or larger
2. Fluidmaster 502P21 2-Inch Universal PerforMAX Toilet Flapper
The PerforMAX water saving flapper from Fluidmaster helps solve all your common running toilet issues. It is designed to fit 2-inch flush valve toilets and is adjustable so you can match your toilet perfectly!
This flapper works best in toilets that are rated with 1.28 – 3.5 GPF or higher. The solid frame of this flapper prevents twisting and “ghost” flushing that can be common with other flappers. It is designed with corrosive-resistant materials to give you long-lasting performance.
Fluidmaster offers a 5-year warranty on this product. You can buy this flapper with peace of mind that it will last you for many years.
- Adjusts to save water
- Solid frame structure for reliability
- Works best with 1.28 – 3.5 GPF or higher toilets
- Flapper can get stuck in the open position if the chain is not adjusted properly
3. Korky 100BP Ultra-High Performance Flapper
This replacement toilet flapper is designed to fit most standard 2-inch flush valve toilets. This even works with the newer toilets and toilets that have oversized flush valves. It requires no tools to install and can be swapped out with your existing flapper in less than 10 minutes!
The red rubber material resists breakdown from chlorine, bacteria, hard water and well water. The flapper includes multiple settings to ensure it fits most popular 2-inch flush valve toilets. You can even adjust the flapper with shorter flush cycles in order to conserve water.
If your toilet constantly runs or doesn’t flush properly, consider replacing the flapper with this quality product from Korky. This will return your toilet back to like-new condition!
- Fits most standard 2-inch flush valve toilets
- Designed for toilets with flush rates of 1.6-GPF or higher
- Includes multiple settings to conserve water
- Ideal for hard water installations
- Chain is too short for taller toilet tanks
4. Korky 3060BP Universal Toilet Flapper
If your toilet bowl doesn’t empty all the way or continues to run, then you probably need to replace your toilet flapper. This red flapper is designed to fit all 3-inch toilets. It is made of chlorazone red rubber which resists chlorine, bacteria and hard water minerals.
This toilet flapper supports newer toilets that have a water flow rate of 1.28 and higher. It is adjustable with multiple settings so that you can ensure it properly fits your specific toilet model.
- Designed to fit 3-inch toilets
- Supports newer toilets with 1.28 and higher water flow rate
- Adjustable with multiple settings
- Resistant to chlorine, bacteria and hard water mineral
- Attachment clip is difficult to attach
5. TOTO THU500S Replacement Toilet Flapper
This is a replacement toilet flapper that is designed to fit most 3-inch toilets. It has a full 3-inch surface seal and is made of plastic for long-lasting durability. It has a rigid black backing that helps prevent the typical pooling or hollow deterioration that you often see with other flappers.
During installation, you will need to adjust the dial setting, chain length and lever hole to fit your specific toilet model.
- Designed for 3-inch toilets
- Plastic for durability
- Rigid black backing for stability
- Only fits specific TOTO toilet models
6. Fluidmaster 5403 3-Inch Universal Water Saving Toilet Flapper
This toilet flapper by Fluidmaster will fit most 3-inch toilets. The silicone seal is designed to resist chlorine and hard water mineral deposits. If you have a leaky toilet valve, then this toilet flapper will help resolve the issue!
It features an adjustable mounting arm and float ball so that you can position it in the appropriate position for your specific toilet model. It has a silicone seal and comes with a kink-free stainless steel chain.
This flapper also features an adjustable dial to promote efficient use of water with every flush. This Fluidmaster toilet flapper is built to be a long-lasting and efficient solution to upgrade your existing 3-inch toilet flapper.
- Solid frame build
- Silicone seal
- Fits most 3-inch toilets
- Resistant to chlorine and hard water minerals
- Adjustable mounting arm
- Water saving
- 10-year warranty
- Chain is pretty hard to pull
7. Kohler K-GP85160 Blue Toilet Flapper With Float
This flapper from Kohler is designed to fit most 2-inch toilet valves. It is a bright blue color with a small float attached to it. This toilet flapper is designed to be used in various 1.6-GPF toilets.
If you want to lower the water level in your toilet tank, you can raise the float. This causes water to leave the tank more quickly. Conversely, if you want to raise the water level, you lower the float.
- Designed for 2-inch toilet valves
- Bright blue color
- Includes a floater to adjust water flow
- Chain is difficult to adjust
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have ever had a toilet that continues to run after you have flushed it, then you know how annoying it can be to try to fix it. When it’s time to replace your toilet flapper, it can be difficult to know which type of replacement product to buy. Look at the answers to these frequently asked questions for some insight before you make your decision.
What Is a Toilet Flapper?
A toilet flapper is a device that is designed to create a seal in the tank of the toilet so that you can hold water in there to use during a flush. It is also used to control the flow of water out of the tank when flushing.
Do I Need an Adjustable Toilet Flapper?
Adjustable flappers are typically used in new toilets that use smaller amounts of water during flushing. The newer toilets are built to conserve water and typically only use 1.28-GPF or 1.6-GPF.
If you have an older toilet that was built before the mid 1990s, then you definitely want to use a non-adjustable toilet flapper. These older toilets do not conserve water during flushing and can use 3-GPF or more!
What Type of Frame Should I Get?
Toilet flappers are typically made of plastic, rubber or some other hard and rigid material. Rubber flappers tend to be the most flexible and can fit into just about any size of toilet valve. The more rigid construction flappers tend to provide extremely tight seals, but they do not work well with wall flush valve drains.
What Types of Toilet Flappers Are Available?
In addition to the frame of the toilet flapper, there are different flapper designs.
- Seat Disk Toilet Flappers have a circular disk that covers the flood pipe to prevent water from passing through it. When the toilet is flushed, the seat disk lifts up to let water pass through.
- Tank Ball Flappers sit directly on top of the flood pipe. When the toilet is flushed, the tank ball is pulled up by a chain which lifts the flapper off of the flood pipe. With this type of flapper, you have to ensure that the chain keeps the rubber ball at the exact length, otherwise, it will not work correctly.
- Rubber Toilet Flappers are very similar to tank ball flappers. The major difference is that these flappers attach a cap to the flood pipe instead of a ball. When you flush the toilet, the chain lifts the cap off of the flood pipe to allow the water to flush and drain out of the tank.
Toilet flappers are a critical part of your toilet system. Without a properly operating flapper, you will have numerous hours of frustration getting your toilet to flush properly. Toilet flappers do deteriorate over time so be sure to check yours regularly. When it comes time to replace it, consider the information provided in this article along with the product reviews and pick the one that fits your needs the best.